The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation’s largest animal advocacy organization, is seeking a Deputy Political Director, Federal Campaigns who will promote the animal protection goals of the Humane Society Legislative Fund (HSLF) through programs, policies, legislative and political work focusing on activities within the states.
This position will be responsible for:
• Collecting and analyzing data on candidates and elected officials to determine which political races are effective targets of HSLF engagement;
• Developing campaign plans and budgets for HSLF to support or oppose candidates, including field organizing, direct mail, get out the vote (GOTV) efforts, etc.
• Identifying stakeholders; develop and manage coalitions within targeted states and districts that could lead to successful results of HSLF activities;
• Increasing citizen awareness on current animal welfare issues and how elected officials and incumbents voted on those issues;
• Developing and providing training for animal protection advocates to learn how to get engaged and get involved in the political process;
• In conjunction with other senior leaders, will oversee management and coordination of state ballot measures and campaigns of interest to HSUS and HSLF, including coordination of coalition partners, animal protection groups, steering committee members, support organizations, etc.
• Supporting HSLF lobbying efforts at the federal and state levels; building relationships and leading strategic efforts with stakeholders in support of HSLF legislative efforts;
• Promoting the political and legislative goals of the HSLF by developing, cultivating, and maintaining working relationships with members of Congress, Congressional staff, and other related political operatives;
• Assisting with developing strategy and drafting independent expenditure material for political campaigns, including press releases, direct mailing, TV and radio scripts, op-eds, letters to the editor and other related material;
• Assisting with fundraising mailings and events and the solicitation of donors;
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in political science or related field or equivalent experience
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience in managing campaigns or by holding elected office or in a similar role within political affairs;
• Candidates must have direct prior experience with developing and organizing independent expenditure campaigns as well as directing state ballot measures;
• Volunteer management and grassroots organizing experience strongly preferred;
• Familiarity with members of Congress, state legislators, legislative staff and solid understanding of the legislative process is highly desired;
• Candidates must have excellent verbal and written communication skills to include strong presentation and persuasive writing and speaking ability; candidate will serve as a diplomatic representative for the organization
• Prior experience managing budgets and volunteers required;
• Must be able and willing to travel approximately 40% of the time.
Please submit a cover letter and resume via The HSUS website at www.humanesociety.org/about/employment/ or fax to 301-548-7701. This position will be based in our Washington, DC office.
The Humane Society of the United States is an Equal Opportunity Employer and qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital or parental status, or protected veteran status.
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on PostJobsNow.com