RN Care Coordinator
Western University of Health Sciences
DEPARTMENT: 13131-Western Diabetes Institute-WDI
STATUS: Exempt, Full-time
POSTING NUMBER: F00138
For a Complete job description, and to apply on-line, please visit our website at:
Functions as a member of the WDI integrated practice unit (IPU) to coordinate the longitudinal and cross-disciplinary care of patients with complex health conditions pertaining to diabetes and multimorbidity.
Essential Job Duties
-Serve as clinical faculty preceptor for students rotating at WDI from the College of Graduate Nursing (CGN) seeking an MSN or DNP, as well as for students rotating from other health professions colleges, to experience longitudinal real-world care coordination, integrated team-based care, patient and staff education, and transitions of care.
-Support patient self-management of multiple chronic health and psychosocial conditions to promote improvement in health outcomes.
-Promote empowerment of patients and their families to better understand their health condition, engage in health-seeking behaviors and prevent disease complications.
-Help provide team-based, whole-person, patient-centered care across the continuum of care.
-Utilize all relevant electronic and non-electronic health data systems to communicate across multiple providers both within and outside the WDI.
-Assist patients in qualifying for support services and other programs available in the community.
-Lead and coordinate weekly WDI IPU team care-planning meetings.
-Collaborate as a team member with other WDI care coordinators/promotores de salud and its providers as well as referring primary care providers throughout the region.
-Confers regularly with the WDI executive leadership team, which includes the Clinical Outcomes Leader (COL), to facilitate evidence-based care, improve systems processes, support care coordination, facilitate outcomes management, establish an evolving risk assessment strategy, support the patient experience, strive for ongoing quality improvement, and serve as a role model for interprofessional communication and cross-disciplinary, team-based care delivery.
-Assist in research projects involving the IRB-approved diabetes research registry.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1) Experience working in a care-team environment.
2) Excellent computer technical skills, especially smartphones and other mobile devices and prior experience with electronic medical record systems
3) Fluent in speaking and reading Spanish
4) Excellent interpersonal skills.
5) Excellent oral and written communication skills.
6) Have strong organizational skills.
7) Demonstrated leadership, effective communicator, and excellent critical thinking skills.
8) Demonstrated ability to use data for trend analysis and decision-making.
1) Bachelor’s of Science in Nursing (BSN) from an accredited nursing program with three to five years of adult-care experience in one of the following areas: ambulatory (preferred), acute care, public health, geriatric, palliative and/or hospice care.
2) Active California RN license.
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on PostJobsNow.com